DESIGN & TECHNOLOGY (FOOD)
Miss V Hime - Curriculum Lead Art, Design & Technology, & Child Development
Curriculum Principles & Intent
Design and Technology is all around us in our modern world. Learning about Design and Technology helps our students understand the world in which they are living, and actively engage in it. It helps them know where we have been and develop where we are going.
The Design and Technology curriculum at The Adeyfield Academy consists of a range of creative, imaginative and innovative experiences of designing and practical based activities. Using a range of materials from three main areas: Resistant materials, Textiles and Food.
Within the specialism of Food we intend for students to understand the Nutritional value of food and be able to apply this knowledge to the planning and preparation of well balanced meals.
The curriculum is designed to give all students the opportunity to learn the skills and knowledge to engage positively with materials, components, products, and technologies in the world around them. Through these types of activities students are actively contributing to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of themselves and their community.
Key Stage 4 Specification
WJEC Level 1/2 Award Hospitality and Catering: WJEC 5569QA
Exam Board : WJEC
This course has been designed to support students who want to learn about this vocational sector and the potential it can offer them for their careers or further study. It provides students with a core depth of knowledge and a range of specialist and general skills that will support their progression to further learning and employment.
The course develops the knowledge and understanding related to a range of hospitality and catering providers; how they operate and what they have to take into account to be successful. Students will learn about issues related to nutrition and food safety and how they affect successful hospitality and catering operations. Students will also develop food preparation and cooking skills as well as transferable skills of problem solving, organisation and time management, planning and communication.
Mode of Assessment:
This course is broken into 60% internally assessed practical work through project work including designing and planning menus, presentation of food and cooking. The remaining 40% is examined through an online examination on different aspects of Catering.