Students wishing to enrol on the music course must either be currently taking lessons on an instrument of their choice, or willing to start learning an instrument, or be a keen and enthusiastic singer. They must also have a keen interest in listening to music, performing music, and exploring music through composition in a wide variety of classical and popular styles.
DO choose Music at GCSE if:
· You enjoy performing music and will be able to play/sing music of Grade IV standard or above on one or more instruments by halfway through Year 11
· You are willing to join an extra-curricular music club
· You enjoy listening to music and discovering how a piece of music “works”
· You are able to devote time to broaden your musical experience by listening to a wide range of styles in your own time
· You are interested in creating your own pieces of music
The GCSE Music course is extremely practical and creative and would suit any student who has an interest or flair for creating and performing music. Students will learn to perform, compose and appreciate different types of music, developing critical and creative thinking, cultural, aesthetic and emotional awareness, and the ability to make music individually and as part of a group.