Exam Board: AQA
Specification No: 8582
Theory (60%) - Students will develop knowledge of the key body systems and how they impact on health, fitness and performance in physical activity and sport. Students will study the psychological factors that can affect performers in physical activity and sport.
Practical (40%) - Students will be assessed in three different physical activities in the role of
player/performer. Students will be assessed on their analysis and evaluation of performance to bring
about improvement in one activity
Mode of Assessment
There are 3 modes of assessment:
- Exam 1: The human body and movement in physical activity and sport (30%)
- Exam 2: Socio-cultural influences and well-being in physical activity and sport (30%)
- Non- exam assessment: Practical performance and performance analysis assessment (40%)
Why Study this Course?
- Develop a broader understanding of healthy lifestyles, leadership, anatomy and physiology, the role sport has in society and to develop your practical skills.
- Enjoy studying a subject that has both theory and practical elements.
- A great option to progress and study Sport or PE on a further education course after Year 11.
- Gain confidence in leading groups of people and developing your practical ability in a selection of sports that you can choose.
Students will receive a well-rounded introduction to the world of PE, sport and sport science through
the combination of physical performance and academic challenges. The content is both interesting and
If successful at the GCSE course, there are a number of progressions routes students can take. We offer BTEC level 3 which offers a further insight into sports leadership, sports development and the sports industry. Other routes are A Level PE. Both routes can open the door to university in the fields of physiotherapy, sports injury, sports science, personal training and the sports industry.